Pages: « 1 |  2  |  Next »

Chandy
Schools NOT going to the State Finals
Date: Nov 1, 2010 9:03:23 AM PDT
Author: Chandy

While the powers that be have not been unreasonable, the class A finals are still VERY FAR AWAY! For some southern schools, it is a 6-8 hour ride.

I have heard from some teams in the class A that they do not plan on attending the State Finals this year. Reasons vary but the consensus is that the same teams dominate each year, so in a year when they are re- building, and the out of pocket cost is so high, it does not make sense to send a team.

So, I am wondering, does anyone know of any teams that are not going up to Mars Hill (Presque Isle) this year? Why not?

Does anyone think this will "lessen" the quality of a win this year?

itsaboutthekidsdammit
Schools NOT going to the State Finals
Date: Nov 2, 2010 7:47:34 AM PDT
Author: itsaboutthekidsdammit

There's little doubt that it will dilute even before considering a reduction in numbers of teams. The GS results we as a class C school have seen at our 2 visits to the gentle County hills over the past 5 years have been very strongly skewed to favor heavier skiers. I say this at the risk of reopening old arguments seen on this forum but I've watched this affect my skiers twice now. It's a bad decision that will now affect class A. You can only be thankful that your GS will be marginally better than that held last year in Fort Kent; Big Rock has a LITTLE more pitch...

Coaches, please involve yourselves in the next bid process. We owe our kids that much.

Chandy

Date: Nov 19, 2010 12:57:29 PM PST

I am really looking to start a discussion about the effect of the economy and the super distance teams have to travel in the next few years on the quality of the event. I know that it is a real struggle for my boosters this year. The same few teams have dominated the state finals in class A for the past decade. Im not taking anything away from them. They have some great coaching, and they also have some luxuries that other teams do not have- and they almost always come through when needed. That said, I can understand how some small teams from the south, or even mid state teams that are just re-building this year, may just say, it is not worth the cost given the odds that one of the 3 perennial favorites does not dominate again. Would you support this decision if it was your kids school? Do you think it is fair that a team should have to consider the cost of travel to and from an event? If one of the perennial favorites chose not to go, for whatever reason, would you still feel as though you would be State Champion, or just Champion Of the Day… If only 3 teams entered, would you still be proud of a “podium finish”?

300 plus views. Go ahead and chime in!

On an unrelated note, the idea that a flat(ter) pitch is unfair because it favors heavier athletes is just plain silly. You race the course in front of you. Everyone else does the same thing. The “best” skier is not always the “fastest” skier of the day.

Also, not everyone should get 2 runs- especially if they fall in run 1 and do not finish or are disqualified.

Discuss.

speedski
attend or not?
Date: Nov 22, 2010 6:50:54 AM PST
Author: speedski

I can only speak as a class C parent/volunteer. Perennials are not nearly so dominant in our division but I would indeed choose to opt out after 2 county visits. It's just not worth the dollars, the inconvenience or the athletes's vacation time. Spend the championship effort on your conference meet at what is likely to be an appropriate venue.

Unfortunately, however, your analysis of pitch is contrary to common knowledge and completely off base; this is actually borne out by results. Look at GS champions for the past 2 county championships and a theme of "bigger wins" is overwhelming. I speak of this from a rather uncommon viewpoint. My child won one of these championship medals due to size. While proud of the accomplishment, this pride is somewhat diminished by knowledge of an obvious and unfair advantage. My champion would rather have had the opportunity of a level playing field.
Last modified by speedski on Nov 22 2010 7:05AM

Chandy
attend or not?
Date: Nov 22, 2010 8:30:03 AM PST

Thanks for your response. I have found a lot of folks agree with you on the distance vs experience. I for one would prefer to spend the hard earned boosters dollars on extra training. That said, the kids train all year so that they CAN compete in the State Finals. It is a hard decision.

My thoughts on the pitch can best be summed up like this: The best skier does not always win- the fastest one does. Find a way to go fast.

I do agree that you can't fight the laws of physics and I can see your point. I just don't agree that it makes it "unfair".

speedski
attend or not?
Date: Nov 22, 2010 8:57:40 AM PST

When the "laws of physics", to use your words, require fighting it's lost on me as to how that can be anything other than unfair. We must disagree; so be it.

On your other point it appears that, at least in the finals, 2 runs are to be provided by rule. In frankness, however, it's the regular season in which this is so much more important. Newer athletes need experience on race-set complete timed courses more than venues need extra entry fees. What we saw was 1st runs set to cull out all but accomplished racers. This is wrong.

Both of these areas addressed, I think its most important to solve what we can for the future. All suggestions needed to the committee regarding the bid process to avoid the unfortunate choice Chandy is pondering under this subject.
Last modified by speedski on Nov 22 2010 8:59AM

Chandy
attend or not?
Date: Nov 22, 2010 11:22:29 AM PST

On your other point it appears that, at least in the finals, 2 runs are to be provided by rule. In frankness, however, it's the regular season in which this is so much more important. Newer athletes need experience on race-set complete timed courses more than venues need extra entry fees. What we saw was 1st runs set to cull out all but accomplished racers. This is wrong.

I agree- almost 100% on this point.

speedski
2 runs please during regular season
Date: Nov 22, 2010 12:26:55 PM PST

If so, and if other coaches agree, I'd urge you to address this with that race venue that doesn't in the form of non-participation. They don't listen to logic.

PowMow
Skip the finals?
Date: Nov 22, 2010 12:48:41 PM PST
Author: PowMow

I understand the limitations but I can't see my athletes or my parents wanting me to count us out. We're underfunded and not contenders but milestones happen at this event and I usually have at least 1 shooting for EHSC.

skitheweekends
Not going to state finals
Date: Feb 28, 2011 4:35:17 PM PST
Author: skitheweekends

We have traveled for years to go south for state finals. We have been stayed up to a forty minutes drive from the mountain. We are no stranger from long bus rides (at least five hours long) and have arrived at the mountain looked down upon by the other teams from our own area as well as other schools as the underdog. We have not been expected to place let alone win. We would never consider NOT taking our kids to the state meet no matter if we had to fund raise to get them there and no matter what place we may end up in after all was said and done. This is all about the kids. They are all winners in the end. We are all a winning team no matter what. You have the wrong attitude when it comes to your ski team. Be supportive of them and let your possitive attitude shine through. Don't wait until the "better" competitors on the other ski teams go away.

Search Web

Google

Search Forum

Forum Tags

There are no tags at this time.